Monday, June 16, 2008
Res Completae: Bamboo Bangles (and a meme)
This is one of those projects that was borne out of me seeing something in a fashion magazine and immediately becoming irritated because I knew I could easily make the same thing for about 1/50th the price. I can't find the pages that originally provided the inspiration, but I remember the caption said something like, "Jewelry designer X got out her knitting needles to create these cashmere-wrapped bangle bracelets." I scoffed. One obviously does not need knitting needles to WRAP PLASTIC BRACELETS IN YARN. To prove my point, I got out my cheap-o plastic bangles from H&M and some pretty yarn (Alchemy Yarns Bamboo in color 4432), and went to work. After about a half-hour of hot-gluing and wrapping, I had some new hot pink bracelets. And they did not require knitting needles, any sort of skill, or $250.
Aaand...I was recently tagged by my dear friends Sarah and Margo in the "50 Random Things" meme. After starting my response, I realized that I was having a hard time coming up with these random things, so you get 25 instead:
1. I get irritated when I see expensive things in magazines that I know I could make myself (I bet most of us crafters are plagued by this!), even if my finished product would not be nearly as nice as the original.
2. Several of my friends are ones I've had for the majority of my life. Sarah (the tagger) has been one of my best friends since 7th grade. Margo since 5th grade. My oldest friend I "met" when I was 6 months old and she had been born only a few days before.
3. I bite my nails -- it's terrible and gross.
4. I agree with Sarah that drinking tons of water can either cure or prevent just about any minor health disorder.
5. I'm naturally quite blonde, but I get a little help with highlights. I only get them done every 5 months. I also only get my hair cut every 5 months because it's so darn expensive.
6. My favorite tv shows are Star Trek: The Next Generation and Battlestar Galactica.
7. I'm a Methodist.
8. I take water with me to bed every night. By the end of the week, I have usually accumulated 5 or 6 water glasses on my bedside table.
9. My brother and I have the same nose, and no one else on either side of our family has it.
10. I've been slowly losing my ability to speak Greek since I moved away from my wonderful paréa, but it still feels entirely natural for me to shout Greek obscenities at motorists in lieu of road rage.
11. I was at the World Series during the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989.
12. The next time the SF Giants were in the World Series (2002), I was at my parents' house recovering from a tonsillectomy.
13. I met my husband at work. We were the subject of office gossip for quite some time.
14. 19 months later, he proposed to me on a sand dune in Death Valley.
15. I am currently taking accounting classes in the hopes of making a career change at some point. I was surprised to find that I'm pretty good at it, and am thrilled that I am finally doing well in and enjoying a marketable field (no love for dead languages here in the real world).
16. My favorite ethnicity of food is Mexican. I am therefore extremely lucky that my brother's wife's family owns an amazing Mexican restaurant in Modesto and they totally hook us up when we go there (top shelf margaritas, anyone??).
17. I have learned to combat it in social settings, but I am extremely shy and introverted. When I first joined the blog world, it took me a long time to start commenting on others' blogs. I still get nervous posting comments, even if it ends up being something simple like, "Your sweater is beautiful!"
18. My commute to work is 35 miles. It takes approximately 40 minutes without traffic, 1 hour with, and 1.5 hours in the worst conditions. Ick.
19. My old boss (my current boss' boss) discovered the center of our galaxy.
20. When I was in college, I was in the same Northern Renaissance art history class as the chick from My Two Dads and Step by Step.
21. My roommate took a neuroscience class in which Blossom was a TA.
22. After 5 years living in Los Angeles, I still get extremely excited when I spot celebrities.
23. Since moving to San Francisco, I have very often found myself in groups of people in which I am the only native Californian.
24. I get completely grossed out by ink on my skin.
25. My favorite place in the world is Crete.
Anyone else who would like to join in -- I tag you!
scriptum est ab Hilary die 6/16/2008