Monday, September 3, 2007

Arms for Arisaig

The entire back of Arisaig took one week to complete. Both pieces of Arisaig's front took one week total. So why are the sleeves taking so long?? Luckily, the fresh mountain air and total quiet this weekend allowed for some serious vacation knitting. By Saturday, I had one sleeve:

And by Sunday, I had this:

For the sleeves, I ended up casting on 6 fewer stitches than were called for because I have very skinny wrists and wanted the sleeves to be quite fitted. And because I wanted to end up with the same number of stitches called for in the pattern at the top of the sleeve when I started shaping the sleeve cap, I had to readjust a little bit. It wasn't too hard -- instead of doing an increase row every 10 rows 14 times, I did an increase row every 10 rows 5 times, then an increase row every 8 rows 12 times. That allowed for a skinny wrist, but normal-sized sleeve cap.

My goal is to have Arisaig all seamed up and finished by the time Neill and I head out to Washington DC for a wedding next Wednesday, leaving enough time to swatch and start a yet-to-be-determined airplane-knitting project. The deadline is stressing me out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow you are really chugging away on those arms - they look great!