Since I finished my pink Clapotis, Sophy has started and finished an entire blue one (which is gorgeous by the way) and already blogged about it. So before I put it off any longer...
Pattern: Clapotis, by Kate Gilbert for Knitty, Fall 2004
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Lion and Lamb Solid, 2 skeins of Berry
Needles: US 8 straights
Start to Finish: March 8-27? Maybe?
Mods: With only half the yarn called for in the original pattern and a desire for a scarf rather than a shawl, I only did 3 of the increase sections and worked it straight until I was about to run out of yarn -- then did the decreases and bound off. The resulting scarf has the somewhat odd dimensions of 11" x 77".
Notes: The first few dropped stitches felt dangerous and fun, but then I got annoyed at the 50% wool content of the yarn making everything all sticky. The dropped stitches didn't want to seem to go more than a few rows down, then I had to use my needle to pick out each additional row. Anyway, I do like the scarf and the yarn is SO pretty. Even being half as wide as the original, I still think it works as a shawl, if I happen to be in that mood:
When I blocked it, I did stretch it and position it so that it would be more of a rectangle than a parallelogram, but I kind of wish I had left it as is. I think I would have liked the pointy ends more than the flat ones I have. I guess I can always re-block. (Yeah right)
I'm glad I made this if only to experience what tens of thousands of knitters have experienced before me. Plus that dropped stitch pattern, despite the sticky stitches, is pretty cool.